15 Sep Best Mexican Dish
Best Mexican Dish
Chilli Con Carne
Literally translated this means meat with chilli but it really is a whole lot more with a warm chilli build, tomato background and mellow chocolate undertones. It’s a satisfying dish and really simple to put together.
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 green chilli pepper finely chopped
- 500g of minced beef
- 1 teaspoon of chilli powder (adjust to taste if you want a bit more fieriness)
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree
- 1 400g can of tomatoes
- 1 400g can of red kidney beans
- 2 squares of dark chocolate (minimum 70% coco)
- White rice, sour cream, grated cheese and a green salad to serve
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat and then add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until soft and golden. Add the garlic and chilli and good for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the mined beef and gook until brown
- Add the chilli powder and stir for 2 minutes
- Now add the tomato puree and tinned tomatoes stirring well to combine
- Reduce to a low heat and simmer for 30 minutes
- Add the chocolate and stir until completely melted and combined. Cook the white rice according to packet instructions and serve with grated cheese, sour cream, a fresh green salad and maybe some crunchy corn chips on the side.