06 Jan 1980’s Date Night – All The Cheese You Need
1980’s Date Night – All The Cheese You Need
Zoom back in time with a themed 1980’s date night and treat your partner to an evening of shoulder pads, big hair and surprisingly delicious retro food. If you’re in your forties take this trip down memory lane and relive your teenage years. If you’re any younger give it a go to find out what cheesy goodness you missed out on.
What To Play
The backdrop to the 1980’s was of course the eclectic and sometimes downright awful music. Day-Glo pop, poodle hair rock and serious synth sounds dominated the decade so set the scene for your evening of love with our recommended Top 20 romantic blasts from the past:
- Cyndi Lauper – Time After Time
- Pet Shop Boys – Always on My Mind
- The Style Council – You’re the Best Thing
- U2 – With or Without You
- Michael Jackson – The Way You Make Me Feel
- Guns N Roses – Sweet Child of Mine
- Alison Moyet – All Cried Out
- Slave to Love – Bryan Ferry
- Madonna – Crazy For You
- Blondie – Call Me
- Air Supply – All Out of Love
- Phyllis Nelson – Move Closer
- George Michael – Careless Whisper
- Rufus and Chaka Khan – Ain’t Nobody
- Lionel Richie – Hello
- Joyce Sims – Come Into My Life
- Sade – Your Love is King
- Spandau Ballet – True
- Frankie Goes to Hollywood – Power of Love
- Madness – It Must Be Love
What To Eat
If you’re going for an authentic 80’s feast then the holy trinity is obvious. Served in every good 1980’s “Italian” from Peckham to Pontefract this classic set menu will give you a tasty trip back to otherwise the most tasteless decade of the 20th century.
Starter: Prawn Cocktail (serves 2)
- 10 large peeled and cooked prawns
- ¼ iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 tomato
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- I tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Few drops of Tabasco
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- First combine the tomato sauce, mayonnaise, Worcester sauce, Tabasco and lemon juice in a bowl and mix until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Next divide the remaining ingredients artfully in two serving dishes and spoon over the sauce. Garnish with the pinch of cayenne and a lemon wedge.
Main Course: Spaghetti Bolognese – 80’s Style
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 500g beef mince
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 200g spaghetti
- Grated Parmesan cheese to serve
- Heat the oil over a medium heat and add the onions and garlic. Gook for about 5 minutes until golden.
- Add mince and sprinkle with the thyme. Cook until mince is brown then add tomato puree and mix well.
- Add the can of tomatoes, bring to boil and then lower heat, season with salt and pepper and simmer for 1 hour.
- Cook spaghetti according to packet instructions. Serve with sauce and sprinkle over Parmesan cheese.
Dessert: Black Forest Gateaux
Buy from a good supermarket – life’s too short.
Serve with double cream.
A couple of bottles of the following should lend your Date Night meal the required dose of authentic 80’s kitsch – still available from time warped off licenses everywhere
- Blue Nun – slightly sweet and definitely cheap
- Black Tower – cheerful glugger still going strong today
- Mateus Rose – fancy shaped bottle for sophisticated atmosphere
What to Watch
If it’s a romantic evening in and it’s 80’s themed, then it’s got to be one of these two era defining blockbusters:
Dirty Dancing – Patrick Swayze gets his strut on in a range of figure hugging trousers in this popular musical romance
Top Gun – Tom Cruise gets the girl despite spending most of the film stripped to the waist, covered in baby oil and hanging with the boys. I feel the need, the need for speed…